Are Coughs Contagious? | AFC Urgent Care Chapman Highway
Have you ever been around someone who started coughing and thought, “Please don’t cough on me?” We’ve all been there!
In today’s world, we’re surrounded by a lot of illnesses, germs and bacteria, and the Chapman Highway area of Knoxville is no exception. So it’s natural to wonder whether a cough pointed toward you could possibly make you sick.
Here are a few things to consider if that cough comes your way:
Is a Cough Contagious?
While a cough itself isn’t contagious, the germs that a cough spreads may be. Whether visible or not, each time someone coughs, very small particles are spread into the air. Sometimes these particles spread just a few inches, sometimes several feet. Therefore, although you won’t immediately catch a cough from a person coughing, you can certainly catch an illness from the germs spreading through the air.
Causes of a Cough
There are many possible causes of a cough. Below are just a few possibilities.
- Pollution and irritants in the air
- Viruses or infections (including cold and flu)
- Postnasal drip
- Whooping cough
Are There Different Types of Coughs?
There are multiple types of cough, with the most common two being the wet cough and the dry cough. As the names may imply, a wet cough produces mucus or phlegm, while a dry cough usually does not. A dry cough is often referred to as “unproductive,” since the body isn’t pushing out germs.
How Can I Find Relief From a Cough?
- Avoid smoking or being in places where people are smoking.
- Avoid perfume and scented products in the home.
- Use a humidifier to add moisture to the indoor air.
- Stay hydrated by drinking plenty of water.
- Try over the counter medications and cough drops.
- Stand in a steamy shower.
- Visit AFC Urgent Care on Chapman Highway in Knoxville, TN!
Do you or a loved have a cough and need relief? Come in to AFC Urgent Care Chapman Highway to get that cough treated or contact us today with any questions.
7564 Chapman Highway
Knoxville, TN 37920-6684