In most cases, strep throat is a relatively harmless infection, but it can cause problems if it isn’t treated quickly and effectively.
Read on as our AFC Urgent Care Chapman Highway team provides further information on strep throat and its potential complications!
What Is Strep Throat?
Strep throat is a bacterial infection that is caused by group A Streptococcus bacteria, which causes throat pain and inflammation.
While the overall symptoms of strep throat vary a little bit, the first symptoms typically remain consistent. In many cases, the first symptoms of this infection are a sore throat, difficulty swallowing and a fever. We’ve listed some more common symptoms of strep throat below.
Common Strep Throat Symptoms
- Sore, red throat with white patches
- Loss of appetite
- Swollen lymph nodes in the neck
- Trouble swallowing
Can I Get Dangerously Sick From Strep Throat?
If your symptoms are taken seriously and dealt with in a timely manner, then no, strep throat won’t cause you to become dangerously ill.
If you get strep throat and don’t get antibiotics to eliminate the strep bacteria, though, the infection could travel to other parts of your body and cause more serious complications. If you experience strep-like symptoms, it’s important to visit our AFC center to get a rapid strep test. This will give you an accurate diagnosis so you can formulate a plan of attack to get rid of strep throat and feel better!
Potential Complications Caused By Untreated Strep Throat
- Abscesses (infected pockets) in your throat
- Infected lymph nodes in the neck
- Middle ear infection
- Sinus infection
- Rheumatic fever, which can cause damage to the heart, joints, nervous system and skin. This is rare, and it occurs mainly in children ages 5 to 15.
- Scarlet fever—a bright red, sandpaper-like rash that starts on the face and neck and spreads through the body; it can be caused by strep throat or strep skin infections.
- Toxic shock syndrome—a rare but potentially life-threatening condition caused by strep bacteria releasing toxins into the body
Feeling less than your best? Don’t hesitate to visit our AFC center today.