What Are My Chances of Getting Skin Cancer? One in five Americans will be diagnosed with skin cancer by age 70. Therefore, it is important for all of us to do what we can to protect our skin from skin cancer.
Ways to Protect Skin in Summer Sun
- Avoid the sun between the hours of 10 a.m. and 3 p.m., when the sun’s rays are most intense.
- Wear sunscreen with a sun protection factor of at least 30.
- Wear UVB-protective clothing.
- Seek shade whenever possible.
- Use sunscreen even on cloudy days.
- Avoid the tanning bed.
Is There a Safe Way to Tan?We are all looking for the summer glow this season. However, tanning in the sun or in a tanning bed is not the answer. There is no such thing as a “safe” tan. Instead, focus on ways to establish a healthy glow this season, such as by wearing sunscreen to prevent skin aging, moisturizing, and eating plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables.
Effects of Tanning
- Premature aging
- Skin cancer
- Depressed immune system